It's hard to believe we were joined together for eternity 5 years ago today. I've been thinking a lot about those first days that we met. He SWEPT me right off my feet. I was home from BYU-Idaho in between semesters and he was making his final preparations for his missionary service. We only knew each other for 10 short days before we had to say our farewells. He was off to Resistencia, Argentina where he'd spent the next two years. (Well, until he got transferred to Anaheim, California half way through. But that's a story for another time). I was left to my studies at BYU-Idaho.
The few sweet memories we experienced in those 10 days were strong enough to carry us through 3 1/2 years apart. That's 1277 days! I couldn't explain why the attraction was so incredibly strong but deep down, we both knew we'd be together much, much longer than we spent apart and I think that's what made it bearable.
Then came difficult decision time! I always knew I wanted to serve a mission of my own. When I reached the age of 21 I was completely torn! Should I wait for Shawn to get home or should we just go for the long stretch? After MUCH thought and at least 27 times changing my mind, I decided it was now or never. And so I put in my papers. I was called to Colorado Springs, Colorado. I left just 2 months before Shawn returned home.
And so, we continued our letter writing saga. After what felt like an eternity, I returned home and we were reunited. I was surprised by how how much it felt like we had known each other. He was everything I remembered. Handsome. Thoughtful. Endearing. Patient. Hard Working. LOYAL. He was right.
We married 8 months later in the Mount Timpanogos Temple. It was everything we had waited so long for! And I love him even more deeply and maturely than the day we married (and that was a lot more than words can explain).
I wouldn't say that the past 5 years have been bliss, but through the difficulties, disappointments, trials, challenges, and problems, as well as the joys, we have ALWAYS had each other. I'm looking forward to the next five! Thank you Shawn, for being you!

8 comments:
What a beautiful story. You guys are MFEO...made for each other. I'm glad Shawn married you. We all agree it's the best thing he's ever done!
That is wonderful happy anniversary!
I love your story! Happy Anniversary!
Cute post! and SUCH a cute story! And now you have cute kids! :) Congrats! hope it is a wonderful day for you!
We keep saying we need to play...how does Monday sound?! Even just going out to the slide, or your girls could come play in the water table, whatever sounds fun to your girls! :)
What's the best way to get a hold of you...since your phone is "out of commission"! :)
Oh buddy, I was thinking about you today when my students asked, "Why is may 5th so exciting anyway?" and I thought Angie got married on 5/5/2005!! How great is my memory?! Love ya friend
I don't know if I beleive all that stuff you said, but one this we can agree on...HE IS SO HANDSOME!!!
What an awesome story! Congrats and Happy Anniversary.
What an amazing story! It's great to hear when someone waited for a missionary, but to hear that you guys waited through TWO missions?! That's love :)
Post a Comment